Wednesday 9 May 2012

Race Scooter: Checks and Upgrades


Entering the bank holiday, I had a few objectives for the race machine. Firstly, I wanted to check the engine over. This split nicely into two parts; checking the chaincase and checking the top end. Secondly, I wanted to fit the new bodywork that KAS Racepaint had provided me with. With just over two days, I would have to be efficient and focused to achieve the aims but hopefully, it would put me in a great position for Cadwell Park, having confidence in the bike.

After a discussion with my Dad ordering my priorities, we decided that the top end should be looked at and be potentially dealt with first. This involved getting the bike over out "pit" and carefully stripping part by part. Almost immediately I came across an issue; the cylinder head would not come off the studs. I had never tried this as when I was provided with the engine, it was assembled and was simply put straight into the chassis. After the offending fins were reshaped, the issue was solved.


The innards of the top-end looked fine to me but as I had got this far, thought it best to take the parts over to Replay Scooters and get the expert opinion. One thing which I had measured was the ring gap. Not surprisingly, the ring had worn: Not by too much but enough to recommend a change for a weekend meeting. Otherwise, the piston, cylinder and head looked in good condition so after a clean, the parts were reunited with fresh sealant and the nuts torqued up.

On a side note, my Dads bike was ready for testing this weekend after the events of Mallory Park. It started on the engine starter but not so well on the dyno rollers. After a bit of machining on the cylinder head, starting became easier but we had trouble on the dyno; the bike kept on jumping out of gear. Hopefully a different gearbox, cursor combination will solve that.

Back to my race scooter and I decided the next thing to do, as the evening was coming, was to move to a clean environment and replace the bodywork. This was a fun task and was surprisingly quick due to me having sourced all the nuts and bolts for the first iteration. It didn't take long to get my rattle can work off and the new sleeker legshields in place. It wasn't that much longer before the rest was attached too.

On the Sunday morning, I took the scooter outside and admired the fine work by KAS Racepaint. After cutting and applying the safety walk and other odds and sods (including some polishing), we were ready to get on with the next task. I think anyone would be forgiven for standing back and admiring the scooter for a while though.




As I stated at the beginning, I also wanted to check inside the chaincasing. Hopefully this would be a quick check up on the condition of everything in there. After being layed on the side, the cover was removed and I inspected all of the visible parts. The chain was still in really good condition as was the tensioner, oil and sprockets. In fact, even the clutch had shown only a little sign of wear (on the bottom plate) and this was further confirmed with the magnet having picked up next to no swarf.

The chaincase cover was re-attached and the gaskets greased and we have the bike 99% ready for Cadwell Park on the 19th May. I feel a lot more comfortable with having checked out the inner parts of the race scooter. I also feel a lot more confident of being able to perform the same tasks at a trackside now. I'm really looking forward to Cadwell Park and already feeling great with my machine.

Thanks as usual to the never ending source of advice in my Dad and to Chalkie of Replay Scooters for constantly providing the answers to my questions. KAS Racepaint should also get a big thumbs up this post as I have finally got a bike that is entirely painted by KAS - and it looks fantastic!

Race Scooter: All events occurred 5th May 2012 to 7th May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment