Thursday 29 March 2012

Race Scooter: On the mend

To be perfectly honest, I wasn’t looking forward to working on the bike. Previous experience has taught me you can never be completely certain of the repercussions of one broken part on many others. One such experience was at Cadwell Park in 2011. My Dad’s inner clutch basket disintegrated at the brazing and caused the springs to shoot all over the engine, mashing up in the gearbox... on the starting line.

This left me thinking I wouldn’t feel completely satisfied until I had fixed the issue and had also made sure that it couldn’t happen again. As you could see from the damage, a little elbow grease was required. As it happened, repairing the issue in this instance is also the solution. Using some coarse and then fine grinding paste, the two affected parts were mated to solve the issue.



Part of the initial problem anyway was that the parts had not matched correctly allowing the keyway and nut to be under more strain than intended. Matching the two parts resulted in the tapers having much more surface area in contact with each other, allowing a better fit under the correct torque, hopefully eradicating the issue. After, performing this work, which took quite a while, the bike was assembled and then tested.


The good news was that the fix had worked and I felt comfortable that it would stay fixed. As such, quite to my disbelief, I appear to be ready for Mallory Park already. (I am missing Croft due to a holiday to Spain). The not-so-good news is that there are a few things that I would like to do before that meeting, all small things but they all add up and I have a limited amount of time. A spare stator is on the cards for the next meeting but plans for beyond are up in the air. Mind you, if past experience is anything to go by, there will still be plenty of things to blog about.

Race Scooter: All events occurred 25th March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment