Wednesday 11 April 2012

Race Scooter: Ready for my first race?

So the first thing that some of you readers will have noticed is that I wasn't at Round One: Croft; the bike was ready though. For those of you not in the know, it turns out that I was in Spain. I could say it was for business but I'd be lying. It was a "Sports Tour" put together by people from my University so I guess it doesn't take a great mind to figure out what I was there for; drink (and sport apparently).

On the Saturday when I was travelling down though, I was really gutted to not be at Croft. I've heard that it was really good racing to watch so understandably, I was sad that I wasn't part of it. Mallory is round the corner now though and I hope that will give me my fix until Cadwell, on my 21st Birthday.

One thing that is different compared to the usual Race Scooter Blog posts is that I don't have any pictures for you. As I had mended the stator last time, and checked that it worked, I now only had to get to Mallory. However, I thought it would be a good idea to start the bike the weekend before Mallory to hear and look for any problems.

Unfortunatley, there were a few minor ones. The rev counter, which I had really got used to on the practice session, was reading incorrectly and at high revs, something seemed a little odd. Remaining calm, I stepped back and looked at the situation again.

In the manic minutes at Mallory Park when my stator was not working properly, we replaced the spark plug to eradicate that from the list of potential issues. It seemed we had left one in that wasn't best suited to racing. Oh and it was a half-height plug too - oops. Replacing this for the one I got from Replay Scooters fixed everything. Rev counter is now working and the sound is back to how it should be.

Race Scooter: All events occured 8th April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment